Pages

Thursday 8 January 2015

Three Recent Reads #2

The latest books I've read, these ones are a mixed bag, quite a random selection of books but all enjoyable reads which I would recommend. I would love to know your book recommendations as it's one of my goals to read more books next year!






























Lost and Found by Brooke Davis

So I would probably have never read this book had I not actually found a copy at a bus stop near where I live in Manly. I was on my way to work in the afternoon and I always go to the same bus stop which is usually pretty quiet around that time. On the bench was a copy of Lost and Found by Brooke Davis and a note saying Congratulations I'd found myself a copy of the book and basically to read it and then pass it on, I've now read it and left it with my sister in the UK so I don't have the book or the note anymore but it really put a smile on my face and made my day, what a great marketing idea. 

Anyway onto the book, one word I would describe this book with is 'weird' I was confused about the target audience of the novel, I thought it was aimed at children/young adults to try to teach lessons about the inevitability of death, however the swearing in the book would state otherwise so I'm not sure on that one. I did find it an enjoyable read and pretty easy, hence my first thought it was aimed at a younger audience, it's an odd adventure tale including three unlikely accomplices on an adventure across Australia. I think I prefer the way the book came into my hands than the actual novel itself to be honest. It is an Australian novel and it has a lot of Australian references in it which had me asking Robbie lots of questions, if you're looking for an easy read which is something a little bit different then give this one a go! 

On the other hand by Chris Cleave

Considering that, in this novel, you come face to face with issues such as immigration, political violence and personal accountability, it really is an enjoyable read which definitely leaves you thinking. All of the character's in the book are completely believable, you are introduced to two people's way of dealing with the same situation which leads you to consider where you would stand in that very same event. Although this is fiction it seems completely authentic to something which could happen and is very relevant in today's political climate with the constant debate about immigration laws and refugees. There's lots of different angles in this book and lots of depth, it's not a difficult read language-wise but definitely throws a lot of difficult ideas out there. It's different to any other book I've read and I would highly recommend it. 

Daughter by Jane Shemilt

This book was an impulse airport purchase. I'm sure we've all been in there, frantically trawling WhSmiths at the airport for something to keep you occupied, for me my journey from the UK back to here was a horrific 24 hour trek so it was pretty important to have some reading material! It depicts a tale of a 15 year girl going missing, the plot unravels by time slips and through characters rather than a straight forward telling of the tale. It has so many twists and turns and I found it pretty addictive, although the end is pretty ambiguous, it serves it purpose to describe how we don't always know people as well as we think, and how life can fly by when we are tied up in work and things go unnoticed. 

 photo Scan29_zps22ea7d95.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top