I can't quite believe that January is almost coming to an end! I have had the busiest month ever, the first half filled with the most fun adventures and quality time spent with Robbie, but the last 2 weeks filled with work, a horrible cold and mosquito bites. In more positive news I did make time to bake my favourite cake of the moment (or the last six months to be precise), the Chocolate Orange and Polenta cake. This cake is wheat free and completely gluten-free (polenta is naturally gluten-free) and only contains a few ingredients, but it is so moist and incredibly more-ish, this is one which everyone loves!
200g Dark Chocolate
5 Eggs, Separated
200g Raw Sugar
75g Fine Polenta
Finely Grated Zest of 1 Orange
1. Preheat the oven to 160°, line a cake tin with a disc of baking parchment and grease the sides.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a simmering saucepan of water.
3. Add 150g of sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until light and fluffy, carefully fold in chocolate mixture.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar and whisk until stiff and white.
5. Carefully fold the polenta, orange zest and whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then spoon into the cake tin. Bake for 25 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
It really is an easy bake, I always add some fresh flowers to the top just to add a bit of colour and texture to the otherwise plain looking cake. For anyone who's a chocolate addict this one is a must, and for anyone who's allergic to gluten too!